mardi 30 mai 2017

Kohler Courage 20HP Single Cylinder (SV470-610) Oil Leaking

I have a Kohler Courage single cylinder (SV470-610) mounted on a Huskee model 13AX615H730 that has developed an oil leak at what appears to be the head gasket. It has 725+ hours on it (it's a workhorse) and is still running strong but the leaking oil is getting all over the frame as well as tires and even onto the belt below. The one spot I can see it leaking is off the cooling fins.

I removed the hood and engine cover/shroud a couple of weeks ago to clean the engine and see if I could determine where the leak was coming from. I found three loose bolts on the top of the engine (see below) and tightened them hoping that was the main problem. The engine still leaked after tightening those bolts. I removed the shroud again a few days ago after I noticed oil spraying forward from beneath the shroud and found the same bolts had come loose again. Re-tightened the bolts but oil still leaking.

170513_02b(1000x).jpg

Question #1: Aside from keeping these three bolts tight (need some Locktight?), could this be a head gasket going?

Question #2: If this is a bad head gasket, how difficult is that to replace? I first thought I'd have to remove rockers, springs and basically disassemble the head to get it off, but after looking at an online service manual (see below) I'm thinking it can be accomplished by removing the valve cover, rocker arms and push rods and then unbolt the head. Is it that simple?

Cylinder Head Components.JPG

If anyone has a step-by-step procedure for this (and re-assembling) that would be great.

Thanks for reading and any advice and/or experience you can offer.
Attached Images


Kohler Courage 20HP Single Cylinder (SV470-610) Oil Leaking

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire