lundi 29 mai 2017

Engine won't start

Model: Toro LX460.
DOM; 3/2006.
Engine; Kohler courage 20, twin cam.
Before yesterday the battery would not hold 12 volts charge so I have been jumping with Shumacher charger. When charger is hooked up it shows battery below 12 volts. After jump starting engine the charger shows alternator is putting out 14 volts. Battery would some times re-start engine after being off a few minutes but not always.
Battery is now shorted out and needs to be replaced.
Note: Seat sensor has been disabled. PTO lever is disengaged and brake pedal depressed when starting (safety feature).
When I tried to jump start and turned key the starter made squealling sound. I stopped at this point and removed engine shroud to inspect starter. Looked ok so I energized starter directly and it engaged flywheel and turned engine normally. I removed spark plug, put key to ignition and jumped the starter. Engine turned and spark was observed. Compression was also noted.
I tried to again jump start to battery using ignition key. Engine did not turn but battery now was bubbling and no voltage was detected between terminal. I know battery is bad and needs to be replaced but I am not convinced that is the only problem.
When I hook charger clamp to red battery cable and ground to engine (bypass battery) and turn ignition to start nothing happens. I took the ignition/key assembly apart. It is very simple device and did not appear broken or shorted out so I put it back together.
I remove battery and air filter assembly so I can see carburetor choke plate. Lever/cable seem to function ok. I hook charger red cable to red battery cable and ground to engine with ignition key set to ignition/start. Nothing. I now hook red jumper clamp to starter (ignition key set to run) and energize. Starter cranks engine but won't start. I repeat with choke closed and crank engine again for several seconds. I should be smelling strong odor of fuel but don't and I see very little fuel. Carburetor could have clogged ports or need cleaning.
1) If I replace battery do you think ignition /key assembly will work correctly?
2) The carburetor may need repair.
3) There may be a short some where in the system or one of the safety override devices may be bad.
Have you got any ideas?


Engine won't start

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire